Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Let the truth be told, on Tuesday.

I am not a perfect wife or mother.

Today, quite frankly, I did a pretty shitty job at being both.

I've been having a difficult time blogging lately, as I've been feeling like I always have to offer up our best. (That's exhausting!)

I visit blog after blog after blog, and more often than not I see faces of smiling, happy, beautiful babies. And at my house, I see this:


I beg you, my blogging friends... show me a photo of a less-than-perfect (downright awful, even) moment at your house. I need to see that I'm not alone...


19 comments:

Yvonne said...

Sound familiar to me!! Even thought I would blog about it. We only have so much to offer and what we have is the best we got. I'm trying to come to terms with that..

aunt jessica said...

i've known the truth from the beginning. that behind your perfect posts are also moments like these. i see them both, i love them all. and your boys know that their mom loves them unconditionally, no matter what. how lucky they are.

Elizabeth Frick said...

you're DEFINITELY not alone. trust me.

Christine said...

I second Elizabeth's comment...although lately you're more likely to find me crying like that instead of Joel. :)

kelly said...

Amen! Good challenge.

Norbyah said...

oh dear emily, i hope i'm not giving you the impression that our life is peachy. it most certainly is not. there are times, where i've drafted blog posts in my head and then kept them there....but, perhaps i shouldn't. i love you dear friend. thank you for always keeping life in perspective. i miss you so much.

Michelle and Stefan said...

I'm working on mastering the habit of b-r-e-a-t-h-e...I have to use it often. I'm also trying really really hard to remember to take a deep breath before I make a smart alleck comment to my husband. Needless to say there's been a lot of oxygen consumed at this house :) Also, I could cut and past Alex's face into your's of Rubin...same look!
Hopefully we'll see you Saturday! Michelle

janiece said...

Oh sweetie--you know how crazy it is here. And my house is always a mess. I've accept that I am not perfect--I shoot for house that isn't condemned, kids that are clean and reasonably happy and I can pay my bills. Take a look at the lovely shingles at my house and the other crap. That's my reality--I just laugh and make the best of it. Life isn't perfect--but that's what makes those perfect moments so enjoyable. And laughable! Here's a hug sweetie--and maybe someday soon I can give you one in person!

Janet said...

I don't have photos...but we have plenty of frustrating moments around here. For example a son who thinks a nap is only 35 minutes. Enough for a 11 month old? I think not. Yesterday, after rocking him and bouncing him for 45 minutes...he proceeded to sleep for only 40 min. I felt cheated...and ended up nearly in tears myself and snapping at my DH. As a result of walking/bouncing that long today I have a sore arm and a kink in my neck. Ugh, I feel tired. So...you are NOT alone. Next time I'm wrestling our son down for a nap (literally)...I'll try to whip out the camera. That should stop the whining for about 3 seconds, at least.

The Browns said...

I'll do you one better and post a video of one of our meltdowns.... well, I'll post it as soon as I get a minute to myself and collect my thoughts b/c frankly managing my house of 5 is flat out overwhelming.
What keeps me sane in those moments - is remember, they are just that...moments.
Hang in there girlfriend.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh Em, you are so not alone! I fear I might be one of the ones who posts smiling, happy photos. But in my defense, I ask you to refer back to my first "wordless wednesday" and all the posts where I whine about the "sleep thing" (You'll notice a lot of those posts have no pics... hmmm...) And just wait until I post my "Tale of Two Nights." oh boy. It's definitely not just you.

And by the way, he's stinkin' adorable even screaming his head off!

gilly said...

Must have been something about Tuesday. We had a horrible horrible day on Tuesday. Yesterday was better... Today I'm not sure about yet.

dana said...

you are SO not alone. monday nights are always horrible. brian is away for work and inevitably the kids sleep terribly which results in mama getting next to no sleep. tuesdays are really hard and i find myself counting the min until brian gets home. i feel awful for spending the day like that but that's life sometime. it takes me the rest of the week to catch up. AND if i wasn't so lazy right now i'd take a pic or video of how gross my house is. laundry piled up to the ceiling, dog hair EVERYWHERE, clutter galore, toys strewn about, dishes in the sink. it's a disaster.

hang in there.

Angie K. said...

hang in there. this split shift thing has me at my wits end lately and that's only with one kid. i will try to get a picture to post too, but i am usually not composed enough to think to grab the camera in those moments. :)

Kris said...

I found your blog by clicking on your profile from Christine's blog (12,450 miles). I wanted to let you know that I definitely have those moments with my boy too, you are not alone. It's good to post about the hard times too because all the mom's come out to share their support and stories. I should post a pic of one our tough moments.

XW said...

is it the season-change? we feel it here too. marriage and parenting and life-decisions. it's taken me off-guard.

i accept your photo challenge. i expect a photo op before bedtime. easily.

and we should get our grumpy, misbehaving, beautiful children together for a playdate sometime soon. i'd love to connect with you and them.

Krista said...

You are not alone... just added a pic on my blog for you.

CatherineD said...

I just found your blog through clicking on Krista's last post.

I LOVE this challenge! I haven't taken any meltdown pics yet... to be honest I'm usually so overwhelmed that I haven't thought to grab the camera! I'll be sure to get pics next time it happens (hopefully not soon!).

Our little Daniel's been home almost 4 weeks now, and we are still all trying to settle in and figure each other out! Anyway, you are definitely NOT alone!

Anne said...

I am inspired by your honesty. (Found your blog through Christine's, BTW) I am so inspired that I have started a new blog and have a post dedicated to this very thing! Email me at anne_karis at hotmail dot com if you want the password! Thank you!

Our Adoption Timeline

  • December 23, 2009- Adoption Finalized.
  • May 7th, 2009- Family circle complete in Madison.
  • May 6th, 2009- Mama's got Rubin in Seoul.
  • May 4th, 2009- meet Rubin
  • April 23rd, 2009- Visa Interview
  • April 22nd, 2009- TRAVEL CALL!!
  • April 14th, 2009- Packet 3
  • April 7th, 2009- NVC out
  • April 1st 2009 (no foolin')- I171 received
  • March 9th, 2009- I171H received
  • February 27th, 2009- progress report from SWS
  • February 24th, 2009- Fingerprinted at USIS
  • February 19, 2009-Rubin's legals arrive in state.
  • February 16, 2009- mailed referral acceptance.
  • February 12, 2009- received referral paperwork.
  • January 29, 2009- verbally accepted referral
  • January 27, 2009- received unofficial referral.
  • January 20, 2009- I600A received and filed with the Dept. of Homeland Security
  • January 16, 2009- submitted I600A
  • January 12, 2009- homestudy document complete.
  • January 12, 2009-received Foster Home Licensing
  • December 22, 2008- A.I.A.A. director approves application, establishes our file, and requests our homestudy documents from J.D.
  • December 5, 2008- submitted Foster Licensing application.
  • November 25, 2008- A.I.A.A. accepted official application.
  • November 15, 2008- submitted formal application to A.I.A.A.
  • November 13, 2008- final homestudy meeting.
  • November 12, 2008- autobiographies completed.
  • October 30, 2008- second homestudy meeting.
  • October 22, 2008- received formal application from A.I.A.A.
  • October 14, 2008- first homestudy meeting.
  • October 1, 2008- submitted pre-application to Americans for International Adoption and Aid
  • September 25, 2008- submitted application packet to Adoption Advocates, Inc.
  • September 18, 2008- first meeting with social worker (J.D.)
  • August 2008- decided to adopt

Followers